She is almost out of the risk range of developing any kind of congenital abnormalities or deformities from now onwards. You can sigh in relief since the most critical weeks in the development of your baby is left behind and all the major organs of her body like the liver, brain, kidneys, heart, lungs are functioning now.
Follow the rules of living on a healthy diet, avoiding tobacco, alcohol, OTC drugs, radiations and stress, and soon you will be holding a healthy baby in your arms.
Changes In Your Body:
The bump is still acting elusive and you are just wasting your time in front of the mirror looking for it. Your maternity shopping needs to be put on hold for time being. Soon your regular clothes and bra will be uncomfortable on you, and you will have a valid reason to go on shopping spree.
You may have gained a kg or two in weight by week 10, but somehow the bloating and other symptoms make you feel much heavier.
To feel better, you can start on low impact exercises to lift your mood during your pregnancy; but, only after consulting and taking guidance from your doctor. Walking and swimming are considered to be two of the best exercises for you during this period. If you remain physically active throughout your pregnancy you will have toned muscles with increased strength and endurance. This would help you carry the extra weight you will gain as your 10th week pregnancy progresses, especially in the third trimester.
Continue on next page...
10 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms And Signs:
Some of the early pregnancy symptoms may be toning down in their severity from this week, but some new ones may develop as well.
a. Indigestion And Constipation:
- The major problem at this stage would indigestion, bloating and constipation. Your muscles are more relaxed during pregnancy; hence the intestines will not be doing their job as perfectly now as they were doing before you got pregnant. Their sluggishness will lead to constipation in you, making you feel bloated and clogged up. Take a lot of fibrous food and drink plenty of water to avoid constipation.
b. Pregnancy Glow:
- If you are the lucky one then you will be having your new amazing look of pregnancy glow during this period. The increased levels of hormones HCG and progesterone increase the secretion of oil on your face, giving you healthier, shinier and smooth skin with a glow. The increased blood volume will add to shine by making your skin appear plump, supple and flushed. With the glowing skin and more prominent cleavage to go with it, you may acquire and enjoy your new hot and sexy look for now.
c. Pregnancy Acne:
- On the other hand, the increased oil in the skin may trigger outbreaks of acne or pimples on your skin. If you already had acne, it may go on to worsen the condition. Apart from your oily skin, the hormone called androgen is also partially to be blamed for this onslaught from acnes and pimples on face.
- Androgens are known to stimulate the sebaceous gland in your skin, so that there will be increased production of an oily substance called sebum. The increased secretion of sebum combines with the dead skin cells blocking the open pores on your skin, making it a fertile ground for bacteria to breed and multiply. The result is inflamed skin prone to acne breakouts.
d. Pregnancy Gingivitis:
- The increased levels of hormone have their own benefits and drawbacks as well. Your teeth and gums may suffer a bit during your pregnancy. High levels of progesterone in your body will lead to softening the gum by increasing blood flow to the gum tissues; furthermore, they hinder your body’s natural resistance to bacteria leading to periodontal infections.
- It also makes your gums more sensitive and irritable; hence it is common to have swollen and bleeding gums during your pregnancy. This inflammation of your gums is known as gingivitis, and if it occurs due to pregnancy then it is called pregnancy gingivitis. Though many of the pregnancy symptoms will be coming down in the second trimester, pregnancy gingivitis may increase as your pregnancy progresses.
So now that you are aware of 10 week pregnancy symptoms, let’s discuss what are changes occur in your body.
Changes In Your Baby:
Your baby has completed the more complex and critical stage of her development by the time you enter into your 10th week of pregnancy. It is time for the organs and tissues to rapidly grow and mature, preparing her for independent life in the big world outside your protective womb.
1. Amniotic Fluid:
- Your baby is now swallowing amniotic fluid present in your uterus through her tiny mouth. The amniotic fluid passes into her stomach, where it will be broken down before being sent to the other organs like, brain, liver and kidney. As your pregnancy progresses, the fluid will be expelled as urine back into the amniotic sac. The cycle will continue throughout your pregnancy. This may appear to be gross to you, but nature has made sure that the urine in the amniotic sac is completely harmless to the baby. It acts as a rehearsal for the eating, digesting and eliminating wastes after birth.
- The amniotic fluid is made up of 98% water and 2% salts and cells from your baby. Apart from feeding your baby, the amniotic fluid will keep her warm. It is also the lubricant that keep those tiny limbs from growing together causing deformity. The webbed fingers and toes are results of insufficient amniotic fluid in the uterus. It plays a crucial role in development of respiratory organs of your baby. Your baby moves around freely in the amniotic fluid, exercising her tiny body so that her muscles and bones get strengthened. It also helps in her growth and maturation of the organs.
- Another important function of the amniotic fluid is to absorb the shocks and protect your baby from any impact on the abdomen. The amniotic fluid distributes any force pushing on your uterus, thus reducing its shock.
- The environment of amniotic fluid is believed to be responsible for the baby’s drive reflex which is also known as bradycardic response. Did you know that when babies are submerged in water, they hold their breath and open their eyes? They do not inhale water. The same response is given by babies when someone blows in their face. The response continues to fade as the baby grows older.
2. New Developments:
- Tiny nails are forming on the tiny fingers and toes which have separated now. There is no web connecting them anymore. She is completely shedding the reptilian looks. There could be little fuzz of peachy hair appearing on her head as well.
- All her vital organs like the heart, brain, kidneys, liver are set in their respective places and starting to function; which will be a continuous life long process for her. The red blood cells are now produced by the liver, as the yolk sac is fast disappearing with the progress of your pregnancy.
- Tooth buds have appeared on the tiny gums. Though her eyelids have formed completely, they do not wink at this stage. They will remain fused together for another 17 weeks before she opens them up. Be careful what you say about your baby from now on. She can hear you with those tiny ears as the inner auditory functions of the ear are completely developed.
- The limbs have developed joints which make them flexible and able to bend. The hands are usually flexed at the wrist and habitually lay over the chest. The spinal nerves begin to stretch from her tiny spine and they are now visible through the translucent skin. The neurons have formed on the edges of the spinal cord.
- The head alone makes up for nearly half of the length of her entire body measurement. The rapid development of the brain sits high on her head which causes a bulge in the forehead. The basic divisions of the brain are visible now.
- The genitals have formed and are maturing fast, but yet it is too early to know the sex of your baby.
3. Size Of Your Baby:
- There are various fruits that would fit into the size of your baby at 10 weeks. Strawberry, kumquat, prune or a baby carrot would give you an idea of the size of your baby. She will measure approximately 1 ¼ – 1 ½ inches from her crown to rump at week 10 and may weigh 0.12 – 0.16 ounce.
Continue on next page...
Care And Tips:
When you are 10 weeks pregnant it is very important that you follow care and tips. If you’ve been suffering from pregnancy related acne, do not continue the medications you used to take prior to pregnancy for treating acnes, as oral medications like Accutane can cause serious birth defects. Isotretinoin, tetracycline, doxycycline, and minocycline which are used in treating acnes are known to cause bone and dental abnormalities in your baby.
Go for natural and herbal applications which are safe for your baby. Home-made remedies prepared from cinnamon and honey, turmeric or lemon can be used to treat acnes. Eat healthy diet and drink plenty of water which helps in flushing out the toxins.
Another problem we discussed was about the pregnancy gingivitis. Prevention is better than cure in this case. If you maintain a good oral hygiene and follow a routine every day, you can prevent the gingivitis from happening in the first place. Follow healthy oral habits like
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Flossing once a day
- Rinsing your mouth with effective antimicrobial mouth wash
- Keeping up with your dental appointments even if you do not want to drag yourself out of bed
Tips For Dad To Be:
You are confused as to how to support your partner who seems to be having a tough time. The best way is to ask her and find out what she wants from you. In 10 week pregnancy, she may not be able to communicate with you unless you start the conversation. The hormonal imbalance, you know that, right?
Try to make her feel like a queen by giving her a good foot and neck massage. The tensed muscles do need a bit of relaxation once in a while. Buy her a gift to show how much you love her. Do not hesitate to appreciate the pregnancy glow or any positive change you may see in her. If you don’t see anything, use your imagination.
Join her in taking walks, swimming or exercising. It will motivate her to stick to the routine which is not kind of impossible if she is doing it alone, given her mood swings and extreme fatigue. But don’t push her to do anything. There are times when she may not have enough energy even to lift herself out of bed. Show empathy and understanding during such times.
Subscribe to our mailing list and LIKE US for more updates on all things related to your pregnancy!
Article by Farida Rizwan